Back in the early 1400’s, being diagnosed as mentally ill meant that the person is crazy. The common perception was people with mental health conditions were possessed by evil spirits. Therefore, the common practice for treatment was exorcism.
Present Day Mental Health
Luckily, the position of mental health today has improved dramatically. Mental health is now taken seriously. In addition, the field of Psychology is growing extensively to provide new discoveries about human behavior, emotions, and cognition. Individuals with mental illnesses are not treated inhumanely. People with mental illnesses are treated with respect and are taken seriously that what they are experiencing are not only made up in their minds rather the conditions are surreal. Even with temporary mental illnesses brought about by addiction to mood altering substances, there is now a more serious approach to providing help with addiction.
What is a mental health condition?
Basically, a mental health condition is the state of your mind wherein you are experiencing certain reactions from distinctive triggers. When you feel panic during a competition as well as not being able to focus on an exam, those are considered as mental health conditions. These mental health conditions are not necessarily dangerous unless the reactions you have are ongoing, frequent and create conflict in your daily life. In that case, these mental health conditions lead to mental illness.
A mental illness is a type of mental health conditions that refers to a disorder which affects emotional stability, behavior, and cognition. This mental illness usually causes misery to your life that’s why it is recommended to reach out for help such as psychological therapy or medication.
Array of Mental Health Conditions
There are many different types of mental health conditions. The list below will discuss each one of them briefly:
- Childhood mental disorders are comprised of autism spectrum disorder, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder or ADHD, conduct disorder and the like.
- Dissociative disorders such as amnesia, depersonalization disorder, are illustrated by disturbances in the memory formation and perception.
- Personality disorders such as antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder, are depicted by imbalanced representations and management of personalities.
- Sexual and paraphilic disorders are diagnosed by excessive or absent sexually related behaviors.
- Sleep and wake disorders are mental health conditions characterized by abnormal sleep/wake pattern that negatively affects the health of an individual.
- Stress and anxiety related mental disorders are composed of post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and the like.
There are still other mental health conditions not mentioned in the list above. Mental health encompasses a wide array of conditions so this article is just an overview that can be helpful to better understand this whole concept. You can find more references regarding mental health conditions online. There are abundant resources tackling every topic you can think of about mental health conditions.